Welcome to the jungle
- Life in the bushes
- Famous arts and crafts
- Old school homes
Stay in Ziwani if you want to live in a jungle full of coconut trees and banana leaves. We spotted a monkey here and so will you! There is only one word to describe the landscape properly: bush.
The people in Ziwani in the south of Tanzania are super proud of their culture - and they should be! One of the babas (fathers) in our circle is the son of the most famous Makonde wood carver in the country, a wood carver himself.
Your family might not master the art of English language on a full scale but don’t worry, sign language will take you there. Some homes have an open floor in some rooms, so you can keep your shoes on. And be prepared to fetch water outside!
DUARA CONTACT: FRANCIS
“I am a civil servant and a founder of MACUTO: Makonde Arts and Cultural Tourism Center. We aim to preserve and promote Makonde culture, carvings and art skills. My dream is to decrease the number of jobless people in the streets.”
PRICE of the stay IN ZIWANI
22 EUR / person / day*
22 EUR if you stay for 7+ days
24 EUR if you stay for 4-6 days
28 EUR if you stay for 2-3 days
*NEW VILLAGE! FIRST TRAVELLER DISCOUNT -20%!
- homestay accommodation in a private room with a lock
- shared toilet and washing room
- electricity, fan, bedsheets, towels and mosquito nets
- breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- possibility to join daily activities in the community
- pickup from Ziwani daladala stop
THINGS TO DO IN ZIWANI:
- Go check out the small and charming Makonde Arts and Cultural Tourism center for local arts.
- Take a walk in the bushes, but don’t get lost!
- Pick coconuts by climbing in a palm tree (or let the locals do it and step out of the way).
- Take a minibus (daladala) to Msimbati, a beautiful beach one hour drive away.
HOW TO GET THERE
The daladala (local minibus) from Mtwara town to Ziwani takes about 15 minutes. Choose a bus going towards Msimbati. In case you prefer a private ride, you can always get a taxi. Mtwara can be reached by bus from Dar es Salaam.
Congratulations! You are one step closer to Ziwani.
Book your stay by filling in this form and we will get back to you in 48 hours. Notice that things in these villages do not always work as fast as you might be used to. The Duara Contact will need some time to organise things. We hope to receive your booking at least seven (7) days before the beginning of your stay.
Elina from Duara is ready to answer your questions. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you!